When I am really focused on myself - how I need to have some time alone, how J.M. needs to take care of me, how the kids are just being so demanding and cranky, how I have so much to-do, etc, etc, - I am just basically cranky and unhappy. You see, no matter how many of those needs are met, my selfish nature is just going to beg for more and more. But, on the rare occasion that I am able to lay my own needs down completely and focus on serving Jesus in whatever capacity He has for me, there really is such joy and peace that is completely indescribable! Taking the focus off of myself really does free me up to enjoy these sweet gifts that God so freely and willingly gives to me. Surprise, surprise... God's Word is really true! :)
If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. Luke 9:23-24
Amen, sister! You are so right! I have the most joy & the most peace when I'm focused OUTWARD, serving others. And yet I still find myself back in my own little world that's all about me!
ReplyDeleteI praise God for friends like you... thanks for sharing this today! :)