Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Decisions, decisions

The big decision that J.M. and I are trying to make right now is whether or not to send Little Bit to Kindergarten next year or not. I must admit, I am feeling a bit stressed out as we think through it all...

All along, we have just planned to send her to big girl school next year. Her birthday is at the end of June, so she would be among the youngest, but she is SUCH a different kid from Big Brother, and since we gave him an extra year, I guess I was just assuming she wouldn't need it. I had told her 2 wonderfully amazing preschool teachers that if they had ANY doubts as to whether or not she was ready that I absolutely wanted them to tell us... And so, last week, they told us that they did...

So here is my dilemma... In some ways, I see her as being super ready. Academically, I know she would be fine. She knows most of her letters and she is beginning to understand about sounds. Not super advanced perhaps, but definitely on track with a lot of other kids. She is confident and generally faces new situations easily and with enthusiasm. Those reasons, among a few others, tell J.M. and me that Little Bit is ready...

But then, there are some other factors, too. She would be among the very youngest in the class. What does that mean for her LATER years in school? Will she give in to peer pressure more easily to fit in? Also, she is the youngest in so many settings - our family, our neighborhood, a lot of our play dates... would it be good for her to finally be the OLDEST? At school, she always prefers to be with adults. She plays well with her peers, but she needs encouragement to join in and not follow her teachers(if you've ever had a play date with us, you have seen that firsthand, I am sure!). That is part of her personality, perhaps. Maybe it would improve with time?

So, this does feel like a huge decision! It's times like these that I need to remember how much God cares about all of these things. He knows Little Bit so intimately and cares for her tenderly. Of course he wants what's best for her! I can be confident in praying that He will guide us to make the right decision.

So, there is no conclusion to this post... Just "to be continued..." I'm excited to see how it ends!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying for you! I have a couple friends in your same situation - it's hard to decided what to do! We're sending R to pre-K but he actually misses the cutoff for GCS by 2 weeks so it was an easier decision for us!!!

    ReplyDelete