Monday, July 23, 2012

Swim Team Wrap-Up

Swim team season is over, and I am not that sad about it.  Ok, so that statement probably sounds like swim team was a disaster or a train wreck.  It was not at all, actually.  I think it was a great experience for both Big Brother and Little Bit, and I am so glad that they did it.  It just took WAY more time and energy than I ever expected...  But I know it was worth it in the end. 

Neither one of our children were that fond of the water in the earlier part of their lives.  Neither J.M. nor I pushed them to not be afraid.  Knowing our kiddos as we do, pushing them to do something that they don't want to do usually backfires.  I honestly wondered if either one of them would ever become little fish.  I think that is part of why I was so blown away by their swim team experiences.  Not to say that I think either one of them are Olympic bound in 8 or 12 years.  But they both did so well and have come so far with their swimming.  Yay for them!

Can I just say, too, that I love our little pool?  We did not win a single meet the whole season.  But, our coaches were so sweet and encouraging.  They wanted the kids to have fun and to learn how to be better swimmers - those were their main goals, and they achieved them.  Seriously love all three of them. 

They had a swim banquet at the end of the season, and every single swimmer on the team received some sort of award.  It was such a neat way to end a fun season.  Our 2 kiddos got very appropriate awards.  Big Brother got the "piece of cake award" since he was initially so afraid to do the backstroke but once he did it, it was a "piece of cake."  Little Bit got the "monkeying around award" since she adored all three of her coaches and would just kind of appear in the pool and hang on their backs. 

I don't know if the kids will swim again next summer.   I think that they, too, were kind of glad that the season is over.  Regardless of what happens next year, I am so proud of both of them and thankful for a great experience this summer.

Probably one of the main things Little Bit liked about swim team... her little friend!

At the last meet - aren't they cute in their swim caps?  Big Brother's eyes always looked scrunched up with his on.

This is a picture with the head coach.  She is so sweet and encouraging!

Big Brother is a huge fan of Coach Tommy!  He is also a soccer player in college.  Little Bit was a huge fan, too, but also a little shy around him.  Crush much?

The last of our 3 wonderful coaches!  I hope that if we do swim again next year all three of these coaches come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment