Saturday, September 1, 2012

1st Week of School

School has started for Big Brother and Little Bit!  We officially have the first week under our belts, and, I would say, it was a good first week.

Over the summer, I prayed regularly for the kids' teachers.  I must admit, there were two teachers that I was really hoping would align with God's will.  Good news?  Little Bit got the teacher I wanted her to get!  She is the teacher that I think EVERYBODY wants!  She is sweet, always smiling, funny, and - here's the icing on the cake - she's a Steelers fan! :)  To top it all off, Little Bit has 3 friends in her class, including her little buddy from swim team that you probably remember if you follow this blog.  Yay God!

So, as you may have already deduced, Big Brother did not get the teacher I had in mind for him.  I have to admit, when I first found out, I was slightly bummed.  The main reason I was bummed is that it seemed that everybody we know got that teacher.  The night after our phone call, we got to go up to school to meet the teachers.  As soon as I met Big Brother's, I felt so much better, and I knew that God had heard my prayers and had chosen a better way for my son.  Big Brother's teacher is a man, which is one of the reasons I think he is so good for our 2nd grader.  You know how our son is all boy!  Also, in the one short week that they have been in school, Big Brother has talked more about what he does each day than he has since he started school!  This man seems to work really hard to create a safe learning environment, and to really build relationships with his students.  I think these two things allow a child to flourish academically.  Big Brother has been telling me he's good in math and he doesn't have to feel embarrassed to answer questions any more.  Warms my heart!

As for me, well, I would be lying if I said this week has been smooth sailing.  First of all, our mornings are BUSY!  I get up at 5:10 to have my time with God, walk at 6:00, get home at 6:25, shower, get the kids up, finish lunches, feed them, make sure they get themselves all the way ready and get out the door by 7:10.  I am exhausted by the time I am pulling out of the school's parking lot! 

Of course, the biggest reason this week has been hard is just me dealing with the reality that my kids are getting big.  My baby is in Kindergarten!  I have had lots of emotional moments throughout this week.  It's not that I am remotely worried about her.  It's just that I am grieving the end of a stage in our lives.  As the week went on, I was feeling better.  It definitely helped that on Thursday, I had my first real day where I didn't work too much and just enjoyed doing some things alone! :)  I am thankful for a God who never changes and loves us all through these tranisitions in our lives.

She's proud! Can you tell?

My 2nd grader... so big!

Little Bit with her sweet teacher!  Wish Big Brother would have let me take a pic with his teacher...


2 comments:

  1. So sweet!! I am so glad the week went well and the teachers are a great fit! So great for Hunt- that seems right up his alley. Your mornings just make me dizzy. Ours aren't too different but I at least leave in workout clothes and don't have to make lunches- most days. Here's to a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is SO proud! and so cute! living it up with ellie - a party everyday.

    ReplyDelete