Being a mom is the best job in the whole world. Period. It is. I love it, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
But it is hard. It is just so hard.
I feel like lately, I have had the chance to talk to a lot of people about their own personal struggles as mothers. I certainly don't delight in anybody's problems, but I have realized that it actually helps me to know that I am not the only one who feels like I have more failings than successes in any given day. And I am so grateful for the people who are willing to be real about their struggles.
I am not writing about these things to get any sympathy from anybody. I am also not writing so that I can garner compliments and praise. I know that I am doing my best as a mom. I know that my kids are being loved and encouraged and that I am the best mom for them. I am just writing to be real.
So - here you go. My struggles as a mom. At least the ones that come to mind.
The mornings. Oh... the mornings! I wake Big Brother and Little Bit up. Cheerfully. I sometimes even sing. But then, it starts. The complaining - "I don't want that for breakfast." The whining - "I'm tired." The dawdling - seriously - does it take anybody else's children 12 minutes to brush their hair and teeth?!? And here's the thing about me. I like to move fast. I feel pressure to be somewhere on time. On time really means early. I get stressed because there is so much to do, and with our house on the market, I don't want to leave it in a mess. So, usually I wind up yelling. Why must I yell?!?
Thank goodness for the car ride to school. That is a sweet time, and we always pray for their day. Oh, and I throw in an apology for the yelling. That has to count for something, right? :)
How about the afternoons? I am always happy about seeing the kids after their long days at school. But then comes the homework. Why is it my fault that there is homework?!? Why is it that every single day, we must read for 30 minutes - yet every single day there is arguing about said reading? Of course, when dinner rolls around, somebody doesn't like what I am serving. And shower time - this looks much like the getting ready for school time. Lots of dawdling. Complaints about tooth brushing. Yes. Really. And, even though the chores are the same every evening, I must remind my sweet children to pick up their dirty clothes, hang up their towels, put away their shoes, etc. Then I read to them (if there is time) and I feel really bad when they don't want to read the Bible and I start to believe all kinds of crazy lies. And all I can think about is getting downstairs to lay down on the couch, watch tv and block all of the failures of the day out of my mind.
Mothering is hard. It's actually too hard for me. I can't do it. But you know what? That is a good thing, I think. Because knowing that I can't do it just brings me to knees before the One who can.
"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5
You see, I am not able to do this job. I am actually not able to do anything apart from Jesus. I am just called to abide in Him. When I do, He fills me up, and I bear His fruit. He doesn't just help me be a mom. He does all of it for me. I just have to let Him. I have to surrender to Him so that He can work through me.
Do I do that all of the time? No. I wish I did. But, He is bigger than my failures as a mom. He cares infinitely more about my children than I do. He is working in their lives. He is using me in spite of myself. So, I cling to Him. I wake up early and pray. Pray for myself. Pray for my kids. (No - not every day. I do try but it doesn't always happen.) He is faithful. He is able to do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine.
So, if you are a mom - take heart! You are not alone in your failures. Best of all, the God of the whole universe can meet all of your needs (and your children's needs) according to His glorious riches!
Can I get an amen?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this. Your honest is refreshing. And your solution is grand. I love you. Amen.
ReplyDeleteAMEN! Especially about the homework...didn't I already do my time? Who knew it was worse on my mom! Your house is on the market?
ReplyDeleteOH AMEN my friend! You must live at my house because you certainly described our life to a t! Thank you for the encouragement today! :)
ReplyDeletei blew it last night with the kids and chris. just harped on EVERYONE...knew i was doing it and couldn't (didn't stop). then told chris i get all the whining time: getting ready for school, and recovering from school, then bed and do it all again.
ReplyDeleteTonight as I lay in bed with Whit I asked for forgiveness in how I handled him today. The whole "conforming to Jesus" thing is pretty dang hard :) And I mess it up constantly. Of course, if my kids were more like Jesus it would be easier!! Ha.
ReplyDeleteWell said, my dear. And thanks for the encouragement!