This past weekend was the Mercy Ministry at our church. On Friday night, they hosted a barbecue dinner and then invited representatives from local ministries to share, as well as offer ways we could become a part of what they each do. Saturday, our church had organized various projects at each ministry and encouraged everyone to pick one and go serve. Of course, hearing about all of the amazing ways God is at work around the city, both J.M. and I felt like we would love to be a part of each ministry. That wouldn't be the right thing, of course, but we did decide to find something our family could do to serve on Saturday.
In the past, both the kids, but especially Big Brother, have really enjoyed visiting nursing homes. I think it may have something to do with my grandmother, Mama Mai, who they knew well and enjoyed spending time with. We always told them how much their visits meant to her, and I think God just softened their hearts towards the elderly. So, knowing all of this, we took them to a local nursing home and visited the residents in the memory care unit.
I must admit, it was a bit challenging for me. So many of the people I talked to were so confused and seemed a bit scared. When I asked one lady her name, she got so nervous wondering how she had gotten there if I didn't even know who she was. One lady was completely slumped over on the couch sleeping. Another just rocked back and forth seeming to talk but not making any sense.
Ok, so after reading that, you may be wondering how the kids did and whether or not they were traumatized. Let me just say - they loved it! When we left, Big Brother was jumping up and down saying, "I want to go back every Saturday!" God made us to love Him and to share that love with others. We feel so complete when we are living out what He created us for. That isn't any different for children!
So Sunday, on the way to church, we were talking about the visit the day before. Little Bit asked if we could go back again that afternoon. We told her there wouldn't be time that day, and she replied, "But Mama, we're members there now. I saw you sign us up!" As J.M. said, that's probably not the kind of place you want to have a membership. I am thankful for being part of God's Kingdom, and pray that these sweet moments will draw Big Brother and Little Bit closer into His presence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment