Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Little of This and A Little of That

I am taking advantage of a rare morning at home to update my blog.  Sweet Little Bit has pink eye.  Yuck! Fortunately, as sicknesses go, this one is not so bad to have.  It's not like she feels bad which is good.  Eye drops are never fun to endure, but she took the first round like a champ, so hopefully this day will be painless.  Now let's just hope that Big Brother stays well.... He is NOT a fan of eye drops!

Speaking of Big Brother and eyes, we have started vision therapy for him.  What is vision therapy you ask?  Well, in an effort to help him at school, we had him evaluated by a neuro-developmental optometrist.  It's not like this year has been horrible for him, but my teacher gut told me that something wasn't quite right.  Math has been a struggle.  No matter how well he knows his spelling words, he usually misses one or two (not bad except there are only ten words!).  He is a super reader but his writing is not always easy to decipher.  I don't just mean his handwriting ( though that is pretty hard to read, too), but also his use of inventive spelling.  And, he has been frustrated.  Especially at home.  So I have been frustrated, too. 

The thing is, Big Brother is smart.  I know, I know... he's my son.  I am not bragging here at all.  It's not that I think he is an Einstein, but he is verbal, and he retains things he has learned like you wouldn't believe!  I guess my point is that his ability and his achievement aren't in line.  As a teacher, that dichotomy usually led me to try and find some answers and encourage a parent to as well.

So, after that rabbit trail, now you know how we got started with vision therapy!  The evaluation revealed some very interesting information.  Big Brother's eyes aren't tracking together.  He has some visual processing and visual motor integration delays.  Vision therapy is supposed to help bring him "up to speed," for lack of a better term. He does all kinds of cool exercises to strengthen his eyes and to train his visual system.  He is also going to get glasses!!!  How adorable will THAT be?!?  I'll post pictures when they come, which should be soon.

I am actually so thankful for this whole process that we have been through with Big Brother.  We all have strengths and weaknesses with our learning.  Not everybody is a straight forward learner.  It's important for parents (and teachers) to try and understand the way that each child learns best.  Sometimes it takes a bit more effort to help a child reach his full potential.  I am so encouraged that we are actively pursuing what hopefully is going to allow Big Brother to do just that!

So that brings you up to speed with Big Brother.  Honestly, that has really consumed a lot of our time and energy over the last couple of months.  Little Bit is still Little Bit.  Prissy, sassy, sweet and cuddly.  We had a really fun field trip with her class to a fire station the other day.  Oh, and she and a neighbor had a "fashion show" complete with MAKE-UP... Oh my....  I am posting some pictures for you guys to enjoy.

Hope all is well with my readers.  XOXO  Melissa

Not sure of this picture does her "beautiful" make up and outfit any justice.

Little Bit helping the firefighter put out a "fire."  This was the BEST field trip!!

2 comments:

  1. Well it's about flipping time you updated this thing! Thanks for the explanation of what Hunt's going through- you and your mom have told me but I think I needed to read it to get it! Love him in his glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracious! I'm so glad you got it figured out! I can't wait to see him in glasses! :)

    ReplyDelete